Two thousand years ago, God spoke to His church and warned “Man is destined to die once and after that to face judgment.” Heb. 9:27 NIV
Let’s grasp that verse from God.
1. It’s destined for man to die. RIGHT? From Eden onward, mankind who sins, dies. No one escapes on their own.
2. Destined for man to die ONCE. – no reincarnation – no second chance – no intermediate step.
3. Man is destined to die once. And after that to face judgment.
God says life is a one-way street—no returns.
God says it is a dead-end street literally.
God has a final appointment with all who ever lived.
Let’s meditate on the immensity of that thought – All who ever lives will die sooner or later.
How many people are we talking about? It took from Noah and his family (eight people) after the flood to Christ’s day for the population to reach– just over 100 million people – Then, from then until George Washington’s death, it took 1800 years to get to one billion – then, 130 years later (1930) to get to two billion – then, 45 years later (1975) there were four billion. TODAY (2021) we have 7.674 billion souls – In a few years we will have 10 billion
About 271,000 (1/4 million) people @ day die or 100 million/year….The number of humans alive is staggering, but the total that has lived is overwhelming.
So, man is destined to die. He lives and dies only once. And, after that to face judgment!
Let’s consider two things this morning:
1. God’s appointed judgments
2. God’s ultimate/final judgment. First of all, the Scriptures describe no less than seven major judgments.
WHAT ARE THEY?
JUDGMENT NUMBER ONE: The judgment of sin – When? About A.D. 30 – Where? Calvary. – On the cross, Christ became sin for us (2 Cor. 5:21) and took away the sin (John 1:29) of the world.
JUDGMENT NUMBER TWO: The judgment of self – When? Today – Where? On earth. I Cor. 11:31 says, “If we judge ourselves, we won’t be judged.”
JUDGMENT NUMBER THREE: Judgment of believer’s deeds. When? After the rapture – Where? Heaven – REMEMBER THIS A FEW WEEKS AGO (2 Cor. 5) There are seven facts as to this which especially the Holy Scripture permits us to know:
1. The time the “day of Christ” (I Cor. 1:8)
2. The judge Christ Himself (II Tim. 4:8)
3. The persons “We all” (II Cor. 5:10)
4. The severity of its fire (I Cor. 3:13)
5. The standard of our faithfulness (I Cor. 4:1-5)
6. The result is reward or loss (I Cor. 3:14, 15)
7. The goal is glory (I Peter 5:4) And we are seen to be those who lived for good or nothingness.
JUDGMENT NUMBER FOUR: Judgment of Israel – When? End of Tribulation. – Where? On Earth (Ezek. 20:33-44) – Christ purges out rebels and unbelievers.
JUDGMENT NUMBER FIVE: Judgment of Nations – When? End of Tribulation – Where? Valley near Jerusalem (Matt. 25:31-46) describes the believing from unbelieving Gentiles of survivors of Tribulation.
JUDGMENT NUMBER SIX: Judgment of Satan & Demons. When? End of Millenium – Where? Earth. Rev. 20:10. Jude 6 tells us: “And the angels who kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, He hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day.” God has planned a special judgment for Satan and his angels. This will occur at the end of the Millennial Kingdom. Satan and his angels will be cast into a lake of fire and brimstone, to be tormented day and night forever and ever (Rev. 20:10; cf. Matt. 25:41).
JUDGMENT NUMBER SEVEN: GWT (Great White Throne) – When? End of time – Where? At God’s throne.
So, first of all, what are the appointed judgments? Sin (2 Cor. 5:21) – Self (1 Cor. 11:31) – Saints (2 Cor. 5:10) – Israel (Ezk. 20) – Gentiles (Matt. 25) – Satan/Demons (Jude 6/Rev. 20) – All dead unconverted (Rev. 20). Now, let’s go to that scene in Rev. 20:11-15 and see God’s ultimate/final word to the congregation of the doomed.