If the YouTube video above is not available, here are two other ways to view:
Godly Women And Mothers
I Peter 3:1-6
OPEN YOUR BIBLES TO MARK 14:3-10
Its just a day before the end of Christ’s earthly ministry. On this night before that long last supper/betrayal night, one of the most touching scenes from the ministry of Christ occurs.
A love filled woman, driven by gratitude, smashes a jar containing her life savings and lavishes it upon Jesus. What a moment to see … Haven’t you wished you might have been there to see, hear, smell and feel such love? And haven’t we all wished we could have done the same? We love Jesus so … And to lavish with selfless abandon a priceless treasure would be our desire. Its mine and I’m sure it is yours this morning. –
The song writer has captured this moment in these words:
Such love constrains me to answer his call follow his leading and give him my all…
Well the good news this morning is that we can offer a similar gift to the Lord Jesus Christ today. In fact Peter tells us that god is face to face now with us and is waiting for it.
Now turn with me to 1 Peter 3:4 lets read it. What is the context of this gift we can freely give to God? It’s in the context of our study of the biblical family. Last time we saw:
The Priority of The Biblical Family: Pass On The Truth.
Today we continue with our family series and see the pattern for the biblical family:
- Today: a godly woman
- Next time: a godly man
- Then: godly children:
Peter, nearing the end of his earthly life writes down for us in God’s Word this inspired snapshot of what a gorgeous woman in God’s sight looks like. It’s a timeless, never out of style, supra-cultural absolute. This is what a woman of God has always looked like. But watch out it is very different from the woman of the day, the woman of contemporary fashion, the woman who displays her body to catch the stares of others.
God’s desires for godly women and their beauty, goes against the grain of culture and society. What does God say a woman of godly virtue is to be? He gives a four-part portrait:
- 1-2 in her actions she lines up with God’s plan for the church and the home. Thus, she is submissive.
- 3 in her adornment she looks like a woman in whom the Holy Spirit dwells, thus she is modest.
- 4 in her attitude she longs to offer God what he is looking for. Thus, she is gentle and quiet.
- 5-6 in her attention she is focused on the home. Thus, she is feminine.
What are God’s Desires for 21st Century Women?
I Peter 3:1-6
God has clearly expressed His desires for the woman of grace, seeking to please Him in the 21st Century. His desires are supra-cultural, they transcend all cultural settings. His desires are also timeless; and they translate well into the First century, the 19th century and right to us today.
Peter captures God’s changeless desires for us, in God’s perfect Word. As Peter wrote to the most cosmopolitan Roman province, the most educated and civilized cities of the Empire he frames four life priorities that signal a woman in step with God, His plan, His Word, and His desires for her life.
Join me today as we learn what are God’s desires for 21st Century women.
Now, lets go thru these verses and see the Word of God explaining these truths.
- 1-2: IN HER ACTIONS she lines up with god’s plan for the church and the home. Thus, she is submissive. “observe”= a Greek word that speaks of peering intently at an athletic event”
- 3: IN HER ADORNMENT she looks like a woman in whom the Holy Spirit dwells, thus she is modest. In braiding hair” = the roman world custom of gold, gems and so on in towering displays of wealth. “putting on”= the only New Testament ref to the repeated changing of clothes to show great possessions. F.B. Meyer “the one law is to dress as becomes the station in which he has placed us, and in such a way as not to attract notice to ourselves.”
- 4: IN HER ATTITUDE she longs to offer god what he is looking for. Thus, she is gentle and quiet. The seven characteristics of Titus 2:3-5 distinguish what a godly women is like:
- She loves her husband= this is not agapao love that does the right thing no matter what one’s feelings are. This is phileo, the word describing the emotion of love. It speaks of a friendship. And, in this era it was even if she had no choice about him
- She loves her children=this means positive feelings about them. even if she is only to bear her unsaved husband an heir…
- Sober minded=balanced
- Chaste=self restraint, purity
- A worker at home=priority is at home
- Kind=see the I Tim 5:9-10 list below.
- Submissive=voluntary acceptance of her divinely ordained role to her husband. See Getz quote.
- Why? That the word of god not be dishonored by Christians saying who cares what it says.
- 5-6: IN HER ATTENTION she is focused on the home. Thus, she is feminine.
- *”obeyed”=to listen to or attend another”
- First Timothy 5:9-10 lists seven qualifications for a woman of god:
- Pure= one man sort of woman
- Faithful= reputation for good works
- Compassionate= nourished children= age of the abandoned child, orphans as well as own
- Loving=hospitable to strangers=inns notoriously filthy, expensive and immoral
- Humble= washed feet of saints
- Bold = helped those in trouble= Christians illegal?
- Focused = devoted to good works
Check Out All The Sermons In The Series
You can find all the sermons and short clips from this series, Delights of a Word-Filled Marriage here.
Looking To Study The Bible Like Dr. Barnett?
Dr. Barnett has curated an Amazon page with a large collection of resources he uses in his study of God’s Word. You can check it out here.