If the YouTube video above is not available, here are two other ways to view:
How To Pray For Purity
020721AM Prayer-5 GDGW-23
Growing Dads God’s Way-23
The Most Powerful Tools in
Godly Parenting: Prayer – 5
Praying for their Purity
DWM-16 WFF-23 WFP-18
Did you know what Jesus prayed for you and me as He walked towards Gethsemane, with His eyes lifted toward His Father in Heaven? He was praying for our sanctification. Jesus was praying that the Word of God, through the Spirit of God, would transform the daily lives of the Children of God. That’s us folks. Listen to His prayer –
John 17:17 Sanctify them by Your truth. Your word is truth.
Jesus prayed for holy living in us who would live in the future. He knew how bad it would be. Jesus spoke of terrible days ahead for this world. He sent His beloved John on a journey ahead in time to see that Tribulation. The character of that world is stated in Revelation as dark and sinful. The entire world is given over to materialism, drugs, murders and interestingly fornications.
This is the world that is coming. This is the world that is forming before our eyes, in the daily news and as we speak. It is a world totally given over to five clear areas of sin.
Revelation 9:20-21 But the rest of mankind, who were not killed by these plagues, did not repent of the works of their hands, that they should not worship demons, and idols of gold, silver, brass, stone, and wood, which can neither see nor hear nor walk. 21 And they did not repent of their murders or their sorceries or their sexual immorality or their thefts.
Peter warned the early saints to flee and forsake the lust inducing activities that war against our souls. Listen to these pleas from the heart of the Apostle Peter to his beloved fellow believers:
1 Peter 1:14-15 as obedient children, not conforming yourselves to the former lusts, as in your ignorance; 15 but as He who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct,
1 Peter 2:11 Beloved, I beg you as sojourners and pilgrims, abstain from fleshly lusts which war against the soul,
Parents this is perhaps the most difficult of all the areas to pray about. Purity of heart is usually reflected by modesty of life. And modesty is most often reflected in our clothing. Praying for purity in our children involves their minds, and also involves their clothing. Are you praying for purity in your children? Pray for godliness in mind and body.
We saw last time that our position when we pray, the place or time or circumstance is not the issue of prayer. Prayer is to be for us a total way of life – an open communication with God which goes on all the time which unleashes the most powerful tool to raising, nurturing, and launching children that please the Lord is learning how to pray for our children.
WE MUST PRAY FOR REALITY IN THEIR SPIRITUAL LIFE:
SPIRITUAL REALITY MEANS SEEING THEM GENUINELY SAVED.
- 1 Timothy 2:4 who wants all men to be saved and to come to knowledge of the truth. (NIV)
- 2 Timothy 3:15 and that from childhood you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. (NKJV)
SPIRITUAL REALITY MEANS SEEING THEM LOVING GOD’S WORD.
- Job 23:12 I have not departed from the commandment of His lips; I have treasured the words of His mouth more than my necessary [food.] (NKJV)
- Psalm 119:97, 165 Oh, how I love Your law! It [is] my meditation all the day. 165 Great peace have those who love Your law, And nothing causes them to stumble. (NKJV)
- Jeremiah 15:16 Your words were found, and I ate them, And Your word was to me the joy and rejoicing of my heart; For I am called by Your name, O LORD God of hosts. (NKJV)
SPIRITUAL REALITY MEANS SEEING THEM LIVING IN VICTORY.
- John 8:36 “Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed. (NKJV)
- John 17:15 “I do not pray that You should take them out of the world, but that You should keep them from the evil one. (NKJV)
- 1 John 4:4 You are of God, little children, and have overcome them, because He who is in you is greater than he who is in the world. (NKJV)
SPIRITUAL REALITY MEANS SEEING THEM THINKING OF HEAVEN.
- 2 Corinthians 4:16-17 Therefore we do not lose heart. Even though our outward man is perishing, yet the inward man is being renewed day by day. For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, is working for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory, (NKJV)
- Colossians 3:1-2 If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. 2 Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.
- 1 Thessalonians 2:19-20 For what [is] our hope, or joy, or crown of rejoicing? [Is it] not even you in the presence of our Lord Jesus Christ at His coming? 20 For you are our glory and joy. (NKJV)
- 1 Timothy 6:12 Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life, to which you were also called and have confessed the good confession in the presence of many witnesses. (NKJV) [Funerals, mansions, ancient sites, tuts treasures]
SPIRITUAL REALITY MEANS SEEING THEM FINDING SIN REPULSIVE.
- Proverbs 20:17 Bread gained by deceit is sweet to a man, But afterward his mouth will be filled with grave
- Luke 15:17-18 “But when he came to himself, he said, ‘How many of my father’s hired servants have bread enough and to spare, and I perish with hunger! 18 ‘I will arise and go to my father, and will say to him, “Father, I have sinned against heaven and before you, (NKJV)
- Hebrews 11:25 choosing rather to suffer affliction with the people of God than to enjoy the passing pleasures of sin, (NKJV)
SPIRITUAL REALITY MEANS SEEING THEM STAY TENDER TOWARD GOD.
- Psalm 51:17 The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit, A broken and a contrite heart — These, O God, You will not despise. (NKJV) Invitations, Christian service, others needs…
WE MUST PRAY FOR INTEGRITY IN THEIR PERSONAL LIFE:
- 2 Chronicles 34:27 because your heart was tender, and you humbled yourself before God when you heard His words against this place and against its inhabitants, and you humbled yourself before Me, and you tore your clothes and wept before Me, I also have heard you,” says the Lord.
- Psalm 139:23-24 Search me, O God, and know my heart; Try me, and know my anxieties; 24 And see if there is any wicked way in me, And lead me in the way everlasting.
- Acts 24:16 “This [being] so, I myself always strive to have a conscience without offense toward God and men. (NKJV)
- 1 Timothy 1:5 Now the purpose of the commandment is love from a pure heart, [from] a good conscience, and [from] sincere faith, (NKJV)
- 1 Timothy 1:19 having faith and a good conscience, which some having rejected, concerning the faith have suffered shipwreck, (NKJV)
PERSONAL INTEGRITY MEANS SEEING THEM LEARNING TO STAND ALONE (which means a conviction that their character is more important than their popularity).
- Daniel 1:8 But Daniel purposed in his heart that he would not defile himself with the portion of the king’s delicacies, nor with the wine which he drank; therefore he requested of the chief of the eunuchs that he might not defile himself. (NKJV)
- Daniel 3:16-18 Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed-Nego answered and said to the king, “O Nebuchadnezzar, we have no need to answer you in this matter. “If that [is the case,] our God whom we serve is able to deliver us from the burning fiery furnace, and He will deliver [us] from your hand, O king. “But if not, let it be known to you, O king, that we do not serve your gods, nor will we worship the gold image which you have set up.” (NKJV)
- 2 Peter 1:3 as His divine power has given to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of Him who called us by glory and virtue, (NKJV)
PERSONAL INTEGRITY MEANS SEEING THEM SEEKING TO STAY PURE.
- Genesis 39:9 “[There is] no one greater in this house than I, nor has he kept back anything from me but you, because you [are] his wife. How then can I do this great wickedness, and sin against God?” (NKJV)
- 1 Thessalonians 4:3-7 For this is the will of God, your sanctification: that you should abstain from sexual immorality; that each of you should know how to possess his own vessel in sanctification and honor, not in passion of lust, like the Gentiles who do not know God; that no one should take advantage of and defraud his brother in this matter, because the Lord is the avenger of all such, as we also forewarned you and testified. For God did not call us to uncleanness, but in holiness. (NKJV)
- 1 Peter 2:11 Beloved, I beg you as sojourners and pilgrims, abstain from fleshly lusts which war against the soul,
WE MUST PRAY THAT OUR CHILDREN WEAR THEIR TRUE CLOTHING – OUR DRESS IS TO REFLECT JESUS. Romans 13:13-14 Let us walk honestly, as in the day; not in rioting and drunkenness, not in chambering and wantonness, not in strife and envying. 14 But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfill the lusts thereof. (KJV)
First, what might we teach our children about dress that reflects Jesus? Well to start, we get some clues. Whenever we see someone in heaven or coming from the presence of God what do they look like? What characterizes them?
- LOOK WHAT GOD EXPECTS US TO WEAR – THE RIGHTEOUSNESS OF GOD Isaiah 61:10 I will greatly rejoice in the LORD, my soul shall be joyful in my God; for he hath clothed me with the garments of salvation, he hath covered me with the robe of righteousness, as a bridegroom decketh himself with ornaments, and as a bride adorneth herself with her jewels. (KJV)
- LOOK WHAT GOD’S SPECIAL REPRESENTATIVES WEAR Mark 16:5 And entering into the sepulchre, they saw a young man sitting on the right side, clothed in a long white garment; and they were affrighted. (KJV)
- LOOK WHAT GOD OFFERS US TO WEAR – CHRIST Romans 13:12-14 The night is far spent, the day is at hand: let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armour of light. 13 Let us walk honestly, as in the day; not in rioting and drunkenness, not in chambering and wantonness, not in strife and envying. 14 But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfil the lusts thereof. (KJV)
- LOOK WHAT JESUS WEARS Revelation 1:13 And in the midst of the seven candlesticks one like unto the Son of man, clothed with a garment down to the foot, and girt about the paps with a golden girdle. (KJV)
- LOOK WHAT WE ARE GOING TO WEAR Revelation 7:9 After this I beheld, and, lo, a great multitude, which no man could number, of all nations, and kindreds, and people, and tongues, stood before the throne, and before the Lamb, clothed with white robes, and palms in their hands; (KJV)
What do the Scriptures present as the wardrobe we should wear? Clothes that reflect three timeless principles:
- We need to pray that our children understand that in the Garden of Eden God introduces clothing to be a COVERING FOR HIS CREATURES (remember God invented clothing.).
- Before the fall no shame Genesis 2:25 The man and his wife were both naked, and they felt no shame. (NIV)
- After the fall shame and a desire to be covered Genesis 3:7 Then the eyes of both of them were opened, and they realized they were naked; so they sewed fig leaves together and made coverings for themselves. (NIV)
- Because of the fallen, lustful human heart God said don’t allow yourself by a lack of modesty to become a wicked picture in an evil person’s heart! 2 Peter 2:14 With eyes full of adultery, they never stop sinning; they seduce the unstable; they are experts in greed — an accursed brood! (NIV)
We need to pray that our children understand that in the New Testament God expects clothing to be a reflection of HIS RIGHTEOUSNESS AND OUR MODESTY AS HIS TEMPLE! 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? 20 For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God’s. (KJV) Because of the Fall we must be on guard at all times. The Flesh wants to rise up.
- Beware of the pride of life: CLOTHING MUST NOT BE OSTENTATIOUS. Luke 20:46 “Beware of the teachers of the law. They like to walk around in flowing robes and love to be greeted in the marketplaces and have the most important seats in the synagogues and the places of honor at banquets. (NIV)
- Beware of the lusts of the flesh: CLOTHING MUST NOT BE SENSUSOUS. 1 Timothy 2:9 I also want women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or expensive clothes, (NIV);
- Beware of the lust of the eyes: CLOTHING MUST NOT BE CONSPICUOUS. 1 Peter 3:3-5 Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. 4 Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight. 5 For this is the way the holy women of the past who put their hope in God used to make themselves beautiful. They were submissive to their own husbands, (NIV); James 2:1-2 My brothers, as believers in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ, don’t show favoritism. 2 Suppose a man comes into your meeting wearing a gold ring and fine clothes, and a poor man in shabby clothes also comes in. (NIV)
- We need to pray that our children understand that in the Old Testament God regulates clothing to be a TESTIMONY OF HIS OWNERSHIP!
- Clothing was to show SEPARATION.
- Leviticus 19:2 “Speak to the entire assembly of Israel and say to them: `Be holy because I, the LORD your God, am holy. 19:19 “`Keep my decrees. “`Do not mate different kinds of animals. “`Do not plant your field with two kinds of seed. “`Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material. (NIV)
- Deuteronomy 22:11Do not wear clothes of wool and linen woven together. (NIV)
- Clothing was to prevent CONFUSION. Deuteronomy 22:5 A woman must not wear men’s clothing, nor a man wear women’s clothing, for the LORD your God detests anyone who does this. (NIV)
- Clothing was to demonstrate HUMILITY. Isaiah 3:16-24 The LORD says, “The women of Zion are haughty, walking along with outstretched necks, flirting with their eyes, tripping along with mincing steps, with ornaments jingling on their ankles. 17 Therefore the Lord will bring sores on the heads of the women of Zion; the LORD will make their scalps bald.” 18 In that day the Lord will snatch away their finery: the bangles and headbands and crescent necklaces, 19 the earrings and bracelets and veils, 20 the headdresses and ankle chains and sashes, the perfume bottles and charms, 21 the signet rings and nose rings, 22 the fine robes and the capes and cloaks, the purses 23 and mirrors, and the linen garments and tiaras and shawls. 24 Instead of fragrance there will be a stench; instead of a sash, a rope; instead of well-dressed hair, baldness; instead of fine clothing, sackcloth; instead of beauty, branding. (NIV)
- Clothing was to be Beautiful not lustful Proverbs 31:22 She makes coverings for her bed; she is clothed in fine linen and purple. (NIV) Proverbs 7:10 Then out came a woman to meet him, dressed like a prostitute and with crafty intent. (NIV)
- Clothing was to show SEPARATION.
Check Out All The Sermons In The Series
You can find all the sermons and short clips from this series, Delights of a Word-Filled Marriage here.
Looking To Study The Bible Like Dr. Barnett?
Dr. Barnett has curated an Amazon page with a large collection of resources he uses in his study of God’s Word. You can check it out here.