The Origin of Satan
BNW-11 (DDD-5) GEN-35 LWP-23
THE ORIGIN OF SATAN
Late one night in 1521 in a massive stone room of Wartburg Castle, Martin Luther sat in the luminous ring of a flickering candle. Suddenly, Luther scooped up his inkwell and violently flung it at the wall. Satan was an adversary so present he disrupted the translation of the Word. From that turning point in his ministry flowed the words of the greatest song of the reformation.
A Mighty Fortress Is Our God
A mighty fortress is our God,
A bulwark never failing;
Our helper He amid the flood
Of mortal ills prevailing;
For still our ancient foe
Doth seek to work us woe;
His craft and pow’r are great,
And armed with cruel hate,
On earth is not His equal
Did we in our own strength confide,
Our striving would be losing;
Were not the right Man on our side,
The Man of God”s own choosing;
Dost ask who that may be?
Christ Jesus, it is He;
Lord Sabboth, His name,
From age to age the same,
And He must win the battle.
And tho’ this world, with devils filled,
Should threaten to undo us,
We will not fear, for God hath willed
His truth to triumph thro” us;
The prince of Darkness grim,
We tremble not for him;
His rage we can endure,
For lo, his doom is sure,
One little word shall fell him.
That word above all earthly pow’rs,
No thanks to them, abideth;
The Spirit and the gifts are ours Thro’
Him who with us sideth:
Let goods and kindred go,
This mortal life also;
The body they may kill:
God’s truth abideth still,
His kingdom is forever.
Satan is alive and well on planet earth this morning. This morning his silent invaders swirl through the air. Around us lurk infernal warriors of the Kingdom of Darkness. These are not science fiction aliens. Rather as super strong extra-terrestrial intelligent beings their aim is clear. Their shocking strategy is so powerful, normal humans would pale if aware of it. These twisted demon hordes as deadly as a terrorist’s bomb, are locked on course. Their target is the human mind, the control center of every human being on the planet.
Like hideous locusts they feed on the filth of spiritual wickedness. They find resistance only from those few and far between warriors of the kingdom of light. That’s right, you and me this morning are enemies to Satan and his hosts. To even speak of this dark world of evil invites great and inexplicable difficulties. As this truth from God’s Word is taught you may experience strange and powerful turmoil.
The confidence we have assures us though that we are “more than conquerors through Christ.” As we enter the realm of spiritual warfare, let’s pray for peace. As we learn and grow today, we will find Satan is a defeated foe, a weakened adversary, and crushed enemy. We have the victory.
SATAN IS REAL
- SATAN IS THE AUTHOR OF SIN. He introduced sin into the universe Ezekiel 28:15 You [were] perfect in your ways from the day you were created, Till iniquity was found in you. (NKJV) He incited Adam and Eve to follow his rebellion against God Genesis 3:13 And the LORD God said to the woman, “What [is] this you have done?” The woman said, “The serpent deceived me, and I ate.” (NKJV) Sin was not a creation but an origination. It came into existence by the aid of that which had prior existence, namely, personality and the power of free choice. God created this being not as the devil, but as a holy angel, who originated sin through disobedience and transformed himself into the wicked Devil which he is today.
- SATAN IS THE AUTHOR OF SUFFERING and of many cases of sickness and disease in the New Testament. Note Acts 10:38 “how God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and with power, who went about doing good and healing all who were oppressed by the devil, for God was with Him. (NKJV); Luke 13:16 “So ought not this woman, being a daughter of Abraham, whom Satan has bound — think of it — for eighteen years, be loosed from this bond on the Sabbath?” (NKJV). S.F. Luke 13:16. In the final analysis Satan is the ultimate source of all suffering, because he is the ultimate source of all sin, its primal cause. He is also immediately responsible for many individual cases of sickness and disease; of which examples are furnished us in the New Testament.
- SATAN IS THE AUTHOR OF TEMPTATION 1 Thessalonians 3:5 For this reason, when I could no longer endure it, I sent to know your faith, lest by some means the tempter had tempted you, and our labor might be in vain. (NKJV); Matthew 4:1 Then Jesus was led up by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil. (NKJV) S.F. 1 Chron. 21:1 R.V.; Matt. 4:1, 3, 4, 6, 8,9; 1 Cor. 7:5 Satan incites men to sin. He so arranges times and controls events and circumstances as to make the greatest possible appeal to the sinful tendencies of man. He is the tempter.
- SATAN IS THE AUTHOR OF BONDAGE 2 Timothy 2:26 and [that] they may come to their senses [and escape] the snare of the devil, having been taken captive by him to [do] his will. (NKJV); 1 Timothy 3:7 Moreover he must have a good testimony among those who are outside, lest he fall into reproach and the snare of the devil. (NKJV)
- SATAN IS THE AUTHOR OF DEATH Hebrews 2:14 Inasmuch then as the children have partaken of flesh and blood, He Himself likewise shared in the same, that through death He might destroy him who had the power of death, that is, the devil, (NKJV); but at the cross Christ triumphed over death Colossians 2:15 Having disarmed principalities and powers, He made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them in it. (NKJV). Satan seems to have the right to use the mighty weapon of death, under special permission. It is true, however, that Jesus Christ at the cross wrested this weapon of death out of Satan’s hands and with it won from him a glorious victory. Col. 2:15 (Weymouth): And the hostile princes and rulers He shook off from Himself, and boldly displayed them as His conquests when by the cross He triumphed over them (1 Sam 17:51)
- SATAN MULTIPLIES EVIL DOERS in Matthew 13:25 “but while men slept, his enemy came and sowed tares among the wheat and went his way. v.38-39 “The field is the world, the good seeds are the sons of the kingdom, but the tares are the sons of the wicked [one.] 39 “The enemy who sowed them is the devil, the harvest is the end of the age, and the reapers are the angels. (NKJV)
- SATAN STEALS Mark 4:15 “And these are the ones by the wayside where the word is sown. When they hear, Satan comes immediately and takes away the word that was sown in their hearts. (NKJV)
- SATAN INVADES John 13:2 And supper being ended, the devil having already put it into the heart of Judas Iscariot, Simon’s [son,] to betray Him, (NKJV); Acts 5:3 But Peter said, “Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy Spirit and keep back [part] of the price of the land for yourself? (NKJV). S.F. Acts 5:3. Satan seems to have the power of mental suggestion, which in the individual becomes auto-suggestion, and which unless halted and hindered by the Word and Spirit of God will also in him be expressed by word and action.
- SATAN ENTERS John 13:27 Now after the piece of bread, Satan entered him. Then Jesus said to him, “What you do, do quickly.” (NKJV); Ephesians 4:27 nor give place to the devil. (NKJV).
- SATAN BLINDS 2 Corinthians 4:4 whose minds the god of this age has blinded, who do not believe, lest the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine on them. (NKJV). S.F. Weymouth translation. Unbelief of the truth seems to be the same as a special invitation to Satan to bring in the darkness of error and falsehood. He blinds the minds of unbelieving men to prevent them from receiving the light of the gospel.
- SATAN EMPOWERS WICKEDNESS in 2 Corinthians 11:13-15 For such [are] false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into apostles of Christ. 14 And no wonder! For Satan himself transforms himself into an angel of light. 15 Therefore [it is] no great thing if his ministers also transform themselves into ministers of righteousness, whose end will be according to their works. (NKJV)
SATAN IS POWERFUL
- SATAN RESISTS Zechariah 3:1 Then he showed me Joshua the high priest standing before the Angel of the LORD, and Satan standing at his right hand to oppose him. (NKJV)
- SATAN TESTS Luke 22:31 And the Lord said, “Simon, Simon! Indeed, Satan has asked for you, that he may sift [you] as wheat. (NKJV)
- SATAN BUFFETS 2 Corinthians 12:7-9 And lest I should be exalted above measure by the abundance of the revelations, a thorn in the flesh was given to me, a messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I be exalted above measure. 8 Concerning this thing I pleaded with the Lord three times that it might depart from me. 9 And He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. (NKJV); This opposition, however, results in good to them. It keeps them humble and drives them to prayer (2 Cor. 12:8,9). Satan’s hindrance of Paul’s going to Thessalonica gave to the saints there and to the generations since this precious epistle (Rev. 2:10). Satan buffets, resists and hinders God’s servants in every possible way, but God’s grace is sufficient to give them the victory.
- SATAN HINDERS 1 Thessalonians 2:18 Therefore we wanted to come to you — even I, Paul, time and again — but Satan hindered us. (NKJV);
- SATAN ATTACKS 2 Thessalonians 2:9-10 The coming of the [lawless one] is according to the working of Satan, with all power, signs, and lying wonders, 10 and with all unrighteous deception among those who perish, because they did not receive the love of the truth, that they might be saved. (NKJV); Revelation 13:7 It was granted to him to make war with the saints and to overcome them. And authority was given him over every tribe, tongue, and nation. (NKJV)
- SATAN ACCUSES Revelation 12:9-10 So the great dragon was cast out, that serpent of old, called the Devil and Satan, who deceives the whole world; he was cast to the earth, and his angels were cast out with him. 10 Then I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, “Now salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of His Christ have come, for the accuser of our brethren, who accused them before our God day and night, has been cast down. (NKJV)
SATAN CAN BE RESISTED
- We must Keep Disciplined Ephesians 4:27 nor give place to the devil. (NKJV); Galatians 5:22-23 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law. (NKJV)
- We must Use our Armor Ephesians 6:11-18 Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. 12 For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual [hosts] of wickedness in the heavenly [places.] 13 Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. 14 Stand therefore, having girded your waist with truth, having put on the breastplate of righteousness, 15 and having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace; 16 above all, taking the shield of faith with which you will be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked one. 17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God; 18 praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints — (NKJV)
- We must Claim God’s Promises Hebrews 2:14 Inasmuch then as the children have partaken of flesh and blood, He Himself likewise shared in the same, that through death He might destroy him who had the power of death, that is, the devil, (NKJV); 1 John 3:8 He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has sinned from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that He might destroy the works of the devil. (NKJV )
- We must Resist Satan by Faith James 4:7 Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. (KJV); 1 Peter 5:8-9 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour: 9 Whom resist steadfast in the faith, knowing that the same afflictions are accomplished in your brethren that are in the world. (KJV); 1 John 5:18-19 We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not. 19 [And] we know that we are of God, and the whole world lieth in wickedness. (KJV)
- We must Keep alert 1 Peter 5:8 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour: (KJV); 2 Corinthians 2:11 lest Satan should take advantage of us; for we are not ignorant of his devices. (NKJV)
- Satan is Forever Cursed Genesis 3:14-15 So the LORD God said to the serpent: “Because you have done this, You [are] cursed more than all cattle, And more than every beast of the field; On your belly you shall go, And you shall eat dust All the days of your life. 15 And I will put enmity Between you and the woman, And between your seed and her Seed; He shall bruise your head, And you shall bruise His heel.” (NKJV)
- Satan is Limited Job 1:12 And the LORD said unto Satan, Behold, all that he hath is in thy power; only upon himself put not forth thine hand. So Satan went forth from the presence of the LORD. (KJV); Job 2:4-7 And Satan answered the LORD, and said, Skin for skin, yea, all that a man hath will he give for his life. 5 But put forth thine hand now, and touch his bone and his flesh, and he will curse thee to thy face. 6 And the LORD said unto Satan, Behold, he is in thine hand; but save his life. 7 So went Satan forth from the presence of the LORD, and smote Job with sore boils from the sole of his foot unto his crown. (KJV)
- Satan is Conquered Colossians 2:15 Having disarmed principalities and powers, He made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them in it. (NKJV)
- Satan will be Cast out Revelation 12:9 So the great dragon was cast out, that serpent of old, called the Devil and Satan, who deceives the whole world; he was cast to the earth, and his angels were cast out with him. (NKJV)
- Satan will be Confined Revelation 20:1-3 Then I saw an angel coming down from heaven, having the key to the bottomless pit and a great chain in his hand. 2 He laid hold of the dragon, that serpent of old, who is [the] Devil and Satan, and bound him for a thousand years; 3 and he cast him into the bottomless pit, and shut him up, and set a seal on him, so that he should deceive the nations no more till the thousand years were finished. But after these things he must be released for a little while. (NKJV)
- Satan will be Released Revelation 20:3 and he cast him into the bottomless pit, and shut him up, and set a seal on him, so that he should deceive the nations no more till the thousand years were finished. But after these things he must be released for a little while. (NKJV)
- Satan will be Cast into the Lake of Fire Revelation 20:10 The devil, who deceived them, was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone where the beast and the false prophet [are.] And they will be tormented day and night forever and ever. (NKJV) The career of Satan since his rebellion has been downward, ever downward. The point of his descent began with the point of his attempted ascent. When he said “I Will Ascend,” then he began to descend. When he began to exalt himself God began to abase him. That abasement will continue until he has been stripped of the last vestige of authority and power, and cast in abject impotence as the arch-criminal of the universe into the eternal burnings. D. S. Satan is under a perpetual curse; his conquest was secured at the cross; he is destined to be cast out of the heavenlies, confined to the abyss and finally consigned to the lake of fire.
“Him the almighty Power
Hurled headlong flaming from the ethereal sky,
With hideous ruin and combustion, down
To bottomless perdition: there to dwell
In Adamantine chains and penal fire,
Who durst defy the Omnipotent to arms.”
OUR FOUR SOURCES OF TRIUMPHANT POWER
- The Cross Colossians 2:15 And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it. (KJV) Hebrews 2:14-15 Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil; 15 And deliver them who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage. (KJV)
- The Blood Revelation 12:11 And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death. (KJV)
- The Name Philippians 2:9-11 Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name: 10 That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; 11 And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.; 2 Corinthians 2:14 Now thanks be unto God, which always causeth us to triumph in Christ, and maketh manifest the savour of his knowledge by us in every place. (KJV)
- The Word Matthew 4:1-11 Then was Jesus led up of the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil. 2 And when he had fasted forty days and forty nights, he was afterward an hungred. 3 And when the tempter came to him, he said, If thou be the Son of God, command that these stones be made bread. 4 But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God. 5 Then the devil taketh him up into the holy city, and setteth him on a pinnacle of the temple, 6 And saith unto him, If thou be the Son of God, cast thyself down: for it is written, He shall give his angels charge concerning thee: and in their hands they shall bear thee up, lest at any time thou dash thy foot against a stone. 7 Jesus said unto him, It is written again, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God. 8 Again, the devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them; 9 And saith unto him, All these things will I give thee, if thou wilt fall down and worship me. 10 Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve. 11 Then the devil leaveth him, and, behold, angels came and ministered unto him. (KJV); Ephesians 6:17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God: (KJV)
- IMMATERIAL: They are spiritual beings, and as such are not material. Jesus said, “Touch Me and see, for a spirit does not have flesh and bones as you see that I have’ (Luke 24:39). Being spirits they are independent of matter.
- INDEPENDENT: They are personal beings. Personality and corporeality are not to be confused. God is spirit, but He is not corporeal. The same arguments used to prove the personality of God can also be used to demonstrate the personality of demons. They have the power of thought, speech, and of action (Acts 19:15-16), since they have power to influence a human personality. The fact they “did not keep their own domain but abandoned their proper abode” (Jude 6) and that they sinned (2 Peter 2:4), shows they had the power of moral choice. They were sensitive to fear (Luke 8:31), and had the power of rage (Matthew 8:28).
- INTELLIGENT: They are intelligent beings. The unclean spirit who controlled the man in the synagogue cried out, “I know who You are-the Holy One of God” (Mark 1:24). Their replies to Christ were couched in intelligent language. The evil spirit said to the sons of Sceva, “Jesus I know, and Paul I know, but who are you?’ He could discern the true from the false. Some have suggested that the Greek word demon derives from a word meaning “intelligent.’ But their intelligence is debased and devoted to evil purposes.
- INVISIBLE: They are invisible beings. Being incorporeal, they are neither visible nor tangible. There is no record in Scripture of their taking visible or tangible form.
- CONVINCED: They are believing beings. There are no atheists among them. “You believe that God is one. You do well; the demons also believe, and shudder’ (James 2:19). They have faith, but not saving faith, for it does not lead them to repentance. They recognize and confess the deity of Christ, but refuse to give Him their allegiance. They also know who are true believers, and they obey the authority of Jesus’ name (Acts 19:15).
- BODYLESS: They are incorporeal beings, but seem to have a strange passion to possess living organisms, whether human or animal. “The demons entreated Him, saying, ‘Send us into the swine so that we may enter them.’ . . . The unclean spirits entered the swine” (Mark 5:12-13). “Then it goes, and takes along with it seven other spirits more wicked than itself, and they go in and live there; and the last state of that man becomes worse than the first’ (Matthew 12:45). It appears they must have control of bodily organs to enable them to execute their hellish assignments. Having once gained control over a human body, they seem to be able to come and go at will. “When the unclean spirit goes out of a man, it passes through waterless places seeking rest, and not finding any, it says, ‘I will return to my house from which I came'” (Luke 11:24).
- POWERFUL: They are powerful beings, and exercise superhuman strength. And they are also able to impart superhuman strength to their victims. “A certain man … who was possessed with demons;… He was bound with chains and shackles… yet he would burst his fetters” (Luke 8:27,29). They delight to make use of human bodies for evil purposes.
- COUNTLESS: They are innumerable and well organized, so they can represent their prince in any part of the world (Mark 5:9; Luke 8:30; Matthew 12:28-27).
- DOOMED: They are painfully aware of their impending doom. “What do we have to do with You, Son of God? Have you come here to torment us before the time?’ (Matthew 8-29, italics added). Their destiny is “the eternal fire which has been prepared for the devil and his angels’ (Matthew 25:41-).
- DEFILED: They are all wicked, but not all equally wicked. The unclean spirit who had gone out of a man returned with “seven other spirits more wicked than itself. (Matthew 12:45,italics added).
- MALIGNANT: They have power to inflict physical disabilities. “My son, possessed with a spirit which makes him mute; and whenever it seizes him, it dashes him to the ground and he foams at the mouth, and grinds his teeth” (Mark 9:17-18).
In C. S. Lewis’ The Screwtape Letters, Uncle Screwtape offers his nephew a little advice on the goal and strategy of temptation.
You will say that these are very small sins; and doubtless, like all young tempters, you are anxious to be able to report spectacular wickedness. But do remember, the only thing that matters is the extent to which you separate the man from the Enemy. It does not matter how small the sins are, provided that their cumulative effect is to edge the man away from the Light and out into the Nothing. Murder is no better than cards if cards can do the trick. Indeed, the safest road to Hell is the gradual one-the gentle slope, soft underfoot, without sudden turnings, without milestones, without signposts.
Your affectionate uncle,
The New Testament is filled with actual cases of demons in contact with humans. Nothing in Scripture informs us that such contact ended with the first century. In fact, 1 Timothy 4:1-3 and 2 Timothy 3:1 link demons to some of the causes of our “latter-day” problems. There is no doubt that demons are as active and aggressive (yet subtle) in our day as in Jesus’ day. We shall uncover some of the deceptive ways demons attempt to make contact with humans, what takes place in the process of our becoming “demonized,” and how such can be avoided.
Facts About Demons (A Brief Review)
Their Existence – Then and Now (Ephesians 6:10-13). The Scriptures do not set out to prove the existence of demons. Instead, we are warned of their existence and the battle that is going on.
- We are told to “be strong” (v. 10).
- We are told to “put on the armor” (v. I 1).
- We are told to “stand firm” (vv. I 1, 13).
- We are in a “struggle” (v. 12).
- We are told that the demons’ organization is in the form of a chain of command (v. 12).
Their Entrance – Ground and Hold (Ephesians 4:26,27)
- Ground. The demons need a ground of entrance to get into our fives. “Ground” has been defined as “anything that gives advantage to Satan.” Examples of “ground” that give opportunity for the devil and demons to enter are: uncontrolled anger. disobedience. religious fanaticism, false cults, lust, sensuality, etc. According to Mrs. Penn Lewis, in her book War on the Saints, “This ground needs to be discovered, confessed to God as sin, and then cancelled in the name of Jesus Christ.”
- Hold. Once a demon gains entrance, it must maintain a “hold” within the person. It is not always the same in every person. In King Saul’s case, his open disobedience to the Word opened the way for a demon to enter his life. The demon’s hold on him was depression and serious anxieties connected with murderous thoughts.
Their Expulsion – Resisting and Casting (James 4:7; 1 Peter 5:9). These are the only two methods revealed in God’s Word. Jesus resisted Satan on Peter’s behalf from gaining entrance to his (Peter’s) life (Luke 22).
Contact With Demons (I Corinthians 10:14-22)
- Historical/Cultural Background. The going taboo in Paul’s day was eating meat that had been sacrificed to idols. This practice posed three problems.
- The sacrificial dinner. This posed a problem for the Christian who was invited to this event where meat was served that had just been sacrificed to idols.
- The meat market. This involved the question for the Christian regarding whether or not he should buy meat in the marketplace that had earlier been sacrificed to idols.
- The private dinner party. The Christian who was invited to this event held by an unbelieving Gentile had to make the decision as to whether or not he would eat in this particular situation.
- A PERILOUS ACTIVITY MAY APPEAR SAFE INITIALLY 1 Corinthians 10:19-20 What am I saying then? That an idol is anything, or what is offered to idols is anything? 20 Rather, that the things which the Gentiles sacrifice they sacrifice to demons and not to God, and I do not want you to have fellowship with demons. (NKJV)
- PARTICIPATION BRINGS CONTAMINATION 1 Corinthians 10:20Rather, that the things which the Gentiles sacrifice they sacrifice to demons and not to God, and I do not want you to have fellowship with demons. (NKJV)
- CONTACT WITH DEMONS BREAKS COMMUNION WITH CHRIST 1 Corinthians 10:21-22 You cannot drink the cup of the Lord and the cup of demons; you cannot partake of the Lord’s table and of the table of demons. 22 Or do we provoke the Lord to jealousy? Are we stronger than He? (NKJV)
Exhortation: Modern-Day Contacts
Amusements to avoid:
- Movies that follow the theme of Satan and his demons.
- Television programs dealing with the occult.
- Music that popularizes demonic activities.
- Plays promoting contact with demons.
Games which encourage contact with demons and their related activities should be avoided and burned! (This is the scriptural method of with such things.)
Literature. The feeding of one’s mind on the lewd information and photographs so widely and easily available gives a ground of entrance for the demons of sensuality.
Actual occultic Practice A list of those things which bring with them demonic contact: black magic, astrology, fetishes and talismans, fortune-telling, séance meetings, witchcraft, palmistry, spiritism, ESP (extra-sensory perception), pictures of witches and occult propaganda, voodoo dolls, candles with occult significance, incense, excessive superstition, religious practices that highlight the emotional, cults, Satan worship, tarot cards, Ouija boards, crystal balls, black cubes and related occult practices.
Defense Against Demons
- Confession of Jesus Christ as Personal Lord and Savior John 12:46). Full deliverance comes only through personally claiming His blood and His victory at Calvary on your behalf.
- Cancellation of All Occult/Demonic Practices. Name the sin specifically and burn every trace of any tangible paraphernalia. A total removal and destruction is the only cancellation that God accepts. Acts 19:11-20 And God wrought special miracles by the hands of Paul: 12 So that from his body were brought unto the sick handkerchiefs or aprons, and the diseases departed from them, and the evil spirits went out of them. 13 Then certain of the vagabond Jews, exorcists, took upon them to call over them which had evil spirits the name of the Lord Jesus, saying, We adjure you by Jesus whom Paul preacheth. 14 And there were seven sons of one Sceva, a Jew, and chief of the priests, which did so. 15 And the evil spirit answered and said, Jesus I know, and Paul I know; but who are ye? 16 And the man in whom the evil spirit was leaped on them, and overcame them, and prevailed against them, so that they fled out of that house naked and wounded. 17 And this was known to all the Jews and Greeks also dwelling at Ephesus; and fear fell on them all, and the name of the Lord Jesus was magnified. 18 And many that believed came, and confessed, and shewed their deeds. 19 Many of them also which used curious arts brought their books together, and burned them before all men: and they counted the price of them, and found it fifty thousand pieces of silver. 20 So mightily grew the word of God and prevailed. (KJV)
Defensive Equipment (vv. 14-17a)
- Belt of Truth. Implement of battle hung from the belt which held the soldier’s robe together. This means “honesty,” “truthfulness,” “integrity,” and “sincerity.” Duplicity brings defeat!.
- Breastplate of Righteousness. This was a heavy piece of armor that completely enclosed the body. This means personal, daily righteousness maintained by confession of sin. Impurity will bring defeat!
- Shoes of Peace. Soles of the soldier were impregnated with heavy, spike-like hob nails which gave him a good footing. This carries with it the idea of “readiness” or “peace of mind.” Anxiety brings defeat!
- Shield of Faith. It was a portable door which the soldier hid behind. The shield served as the buffer from the flaming darts of the enemy. Faith extinguishes all the flaming missiles of the evil one. Doubt brings defeat!
- Helmet of Salvation. The meaning of the helmet is assurance of salvation. Lack of assurance brings defeat!
Offensive Equipment (vv. 17b, 18)
- Sword of the Spirit. Memorizing the Scripture is essential to effectiveness in battle.
- Prayer. This includes petition at all times for others as well as yourself.
- Alertness. The good soldier must be ever alert.
 Bancroft, Elemental Theology.
 Bancroft, Elemental Theology.
 Bancroft, Elemental Theology.
 Bancroft, Elemental Theology.
 Bancroft, Elemental Theology.
 Bancroft, Elemental Theology.
 Bancroft, Elemental Theology.
 Bancroft, Elemental Theology.
 J. Oswald Sanders, Satan is no Myth, p. 64-67.
 Lewis, The Screwtape Letters, p. 56.
 Swindoll, Occult, p.12.
Check Out All The Sermons In The Series
You can find all the sermons and short clips from this series, Brave New World – Devils here.
You can find all the sermons and short clips from this series, Genesis here.
You can find all the sermons and short clips from this series, Lost World – The World that Perished here.
Looking To Study The Bible Like Dr. Barnett?
Dr. Barnett has curated an Amazon page with a large collection of resources he uses in his study of God’s Word. You can check it out here.